National String Quartet Foundation Bursary Scheme
The Foundation will, at its discretion, award one or more bursaries each year to advanced young musicians resident primarily in Cork, who commit to working together as a string quartet.
The award will be made on foot of a written application by the quartet, interview and, where appropriate, audition. Repertoire and a performance programme will be agreed with representatives of the Foundation. Coaching and mentoring will be provided.
Criteria for the award will include:
- The individual abilities of the quartet members.
- The quartet’s achievements to date.
- The ability of the members to work together as musicians
- The ability and commitment of the members to devote time to the quartet over the bursary period.
- The economic benefit to the quartet members and the likelihood that the award will have an impact on their musical careers.
- The ambition and plans that the quartet members may have to take on further performances and repertoire.
The objectives of the scheme will be:
- To encourage advanced students to commit to the study of string quartets
- To encourage students to continue their studies in Cork
- To encourage musicians to retain Cork as their primary residence.
- To encourage young professionals to continue developing their chamber music skills